The Mystery of the Incredible Disappearing Tasks
Lately, we have noticed several Facebook and MeinVZ posts on the topic of disappearing tasks, meaning a Clickworker does not receive a successive task assignment even though (s)he hasn’t worked through many herself. This is not the first time we have seen the question, and actually, we have known the root causes for a while:
In most instances we have traced the issue to a backup in the quality control process. To avoid quality problems, such as a single Clickworker providing many defective tasks, the rules may stipulate a maximum of 20 open tasks in the editing queue. If the correction queue is full, new tasks can only be assigned when an editors processes one of those 20 tasks. With large orders you may find that you’ll see a large number of available tasks which suddenly drop to zero because of this issue.
Assessments are being utilized to qualify each Clickworker for both types of work and specific projects. For each project there is a minimum quality standard that needs to be attained. Each time, each Clickworker is being reviewed to determine access to the project. This review is based on the original assessment and, possibly, rejected work. The Clickworker is immediately removed from task assignment for the specific project when the combined score ends up below the required minimum standard.
The processing of many tasks requires only a few clicks. This means that the workplace application has to constantly load new pages for potentially thousands of Clickworkers simultaneously. In these instances our servers are being severely taxed. We try to prevent issues by regulating the feed of tasks. In order to reduce or avoid this type of issue, our developers are constantly working on improving system performance in addition to adding capacity.