Halloween Time is Pumpkin Time – Pumpkin Lantern
Have you already decorated for Halloween? Maybe our last-minute instructions can help you increase the scare factor in your home.
Carving Instructions for a Pumpkin Lantern
What do I need?
- 1 large pumpkin
- Sharp knife
- Large bowl
- Possibly a tarp or a table cloth to cover your workspace
- Cover your work area with a tarp or something similar, and wear older clothing if desired. Pumpkin can leave some nasty stains.
- Cut the top of the pumpkin off with a sharp knife, where you want the lantern opening to be. But be careful not to damage the top, so it can be placed back on the finished lantern as the “lid.” The form of the opening can vary, so whether it is round or jagged is up to you.
- Remove the loose fruit pulp and seeds from the lid and the pumpkin itself using the spoon. Those of you who would prefer not to have your hands stained should wear rubber gloves for this step.
- Now scrape as much of the solid pulp from the inner walls of the pumpkin as possible. Doing this will help keep it fresh longer.
- Now the pumpkin has been prepared, and you can sketch your desired form or “face” on the pumpkin with the pen.
- Done? Now carefully cut the contours into the pumpkin with the knife. The loose pieces can then be gently pushed out and removed.
- Put a tea light candle inside and place the Pumpkin Lantern on your window sill!