Types of web content
Written content is the most common form of web content. It includes:
- Blogs: This form of web content is often central to an organization’s content marketing strategy. A blog is an easy way to share information, build relationships with readers, and boost a website’s SEO.
- Longform Content: It might be found on a blog, but long-form content is a lot longer than a regular blog post. It is often found in the form of “Ultimate Guides.”
- Case Studies: Although not for every business, case studies are a great way to provide knowledge and actionable information, while showcasing thought leadership.
- Ebooks: These usually come in the form of a PDF. They can be downloaded for free, or they can provide a website with revenue when sold.
Visual content is a hugely popular form of web content, especially in the digital age of Snapchat and Instagram stories. The main point of visual content is that it needs to be seen in its entirety, which is why some visual materials rely on written content
- Video: This is the most popular form of visual website content. A video can be a few seconds or even hours long, and anything in between. It can be posted on nearly any page of a website, including social media.
- Info graphics: This form of content frequently goes viral. It contains a combination of images and written content to make a topic more interesting or easier to understand.
- Templates and checklists: These provide usable content to customers, clients, and readers. They can be downloaded, printed, and used more than once, and they can be created for a wide variety of topics.
Audio content is the least popular type of web content, but it is growing in popularity. That is because it is easy for listeners to multitask while listening to audio. A few examples of this kind of content include:
- Podcasts: Podcasts are growing in popularity because they are convenient to listen to on the bus on the way to work, walking to class, or on an airplane.
- Audio books: People, who do not have the time to sit down and read, but want to read the latest literature, appreciate audio books. They can be listed to while cooking dinner, looking after the kids, or going for a jog.
- Webinars: Audio webinars are a great way for listeners to learn new skills, and a live webinar can easily be recorded and distributed to listeners after the live webinar is complete.
Do you need content for product descriptions? Inform yourself about our solutions!
The goal of web content
There are many goals a company or organization may want to reach when it comes to web content. At its core, it is about getting more out of something.
For a blog, the goal might be to get more readers. A company may choose to create an info graphic to increase awareness of their brand. An author may create an audio version of their book as a way to increase revenue.
It is important to set the right goals for every piece of web content that is published.
Targeting the right audience with web content
No matter what the goals behind the web content are, it is important to make it accessible for a big audience, and it is important to reach the right audience.
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the best way to ensure website content can be found on search engines, like Google. It includes:
- Using keywords throughout blog content
- Using keywords in titles
- Creating metadata for web content
By using best SEO techniques, posted content will show up higher in the search engine results, which will consequently entail more views.
Using a content management system
For websites that regularly update and host large quantities of content, a content management system can be very effective. It manages the creation, modification, and posting of digital content on websites and social media. It is especially effective in a collaborative environment where multiple people are writing, creating, and posting content to a website.
There are a variety of web content management systems to choose from. For example, WordPress is a popular system that seamlessly integrates with a larger website, while StoryChief can improve SEO in real time.